Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Getting Personal

Just read a great blog post today by Jeannie Spiro called "The Fine Line of Getting Personal in Your Business" and it reminded my of one of my favorite movies, You've Got Mail. Remember? Joe Fox "It's just business. It's not personal." and Meg Ryan's character "Whatever it [business] is, it should start by being personal!" YES!

I feel exactly the same way. I hate when people refer to my business as a "MLM" (multi-level marketing), One, because it's wrong--we are a dual-marketing model, and two, because it conjures up a nasty feeling in my stomach of some smarmy late-night infomercial guy with too much gel in his hair proclaiming that "you too can be like me." As if. If I had to label my business (and I hate labels unless they're P-touch labels) I would rather label it Relationship Marketing. The whole reason I decided to go into business with Mary Kay was because I wanted meet fabulous women, get to know them, help them in areas that I could help them in and-ultimately-enrich their lives.

The funny thing is, when you set out to enrich someone else's life they usually end up enriching yours, too. Isn't that the beauty of relationships? By the way, if you don't think you're fabulous--you are!!

I'd love to know what you think--feel free to comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment