Monday, October 15, 2012

What if it was Your Daughter?

New National Survey Shows Stark Contrast in Parents’ Perceptions and the Reality of Teenagers’ Relationships

A new survey was recently published about parents' perceptions of their daughters' romantic involvements as compared to their actual relationships. It was a startling wake up call to me that only 1 in 4 parents reported that their teenage daughter had been in an unhealthy relationship but in actuality 1 in 3 adolescent girls reported being in an unhealthy relationship.

I don't have a daughter but I do have two boys. Even though they are far from their first relationship (I hope!), my husband and I teach them how to respect and care for women. We don't present it in a "weaker sex" kind of way but we do encourage chilvary and special attention.

I can't help but wonder if the sexualization of women through the media and the degradation of women through "gangsta" rap culture adds fuel to the fire and contributes to the low self esteem of women young and old in our country.

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment